As lockdown eases and people start to dream of going away on holiday, the UK’s largest independent travel agent has put together its top tips for choosing the right break.
Hays Travel, which rescued Thomas Cook when it went bust in 2019, has reopened its high street shops.
Currently foreign holidays are banned, and returning travellers have to quarantine on arrival.
However, the Government said people in England can now start thinking about booking foreign trips again.
It is set to introduce a traffic light system next month.
For England, destination countries will be either:
- Green: Passengers will not need to quarantine on return, but must take a pre-departure test, as well as a PCR test on return to the UK
- Amber: Travellers will need to quarantine for 10 days, as well as taking a pre-departure test and two PCR tests
- Red: Passengers will have to pay for a 10-day stay in a managed quarantine hotel, as well as a pre-departure test and two PCR tests. About 40 countries are on the current red list
Jane Schumm, Hays Travel’s retail director, said: “Since the Government advised that it was okay to book a holiday, and our shops have reopened, bookings have been steadily rising.
“Cruise bookings are going through the roof both for the round Britain options this summer and further afield in 2022 and 2023.
“More than half the bookings are for next summer – people want to be sure they won’t miss out.
“It is good to be back on the high street again and helping everyone find the holiday they really want.”
Hays Travel’s top tips are:
- If you want to go away this summer, you can. A reputable travel agent will help you choose your destination, support you if you need tests and/or quarantine and be here for you if things change.
- A really good option for this summer, if you’re quick, is a round Britain cruise. There’s a huge choice with some of the world’s most luxurious liners. Among the operators that have already confirmed cruise schedules are P&O, Princess, Cunard, Saga, Riviera Travel, Hurtigruten, MSC, Viking and Tradewind Voyages and Disney.
- Book early for the best offers and the most choice for next summer or later this year – beat the rush and any possible price changes.
- Spread the cost by direct debit – paying a small deposit and monthly payments soon pays off the cost of the holiday.
- Look out for a holiday with extra protection so you’re covered in case things change.
- Think carefully about the right insurance for you, to cover all pandemic eventualities.
- And don’t forget to check your passport meets the new requirements for the EU.