Cumbria Crack

Keswick flying high with Cup and League wins

Adam Gaskell puts Keswick 1-0 ahead in the Junior Cup (Ben Challis)

[I]n the First Round of the Westmorland FA’s Junior Cup, Keswick Reserves had a comfortable win over Greystoke, with the home side putting five past the visitors, who only managed one in reply.

The damage was done by an Adam Gaskell hat trick for Keswick, with brother Dave picking up another and giving an assist, and Keswick ‘keeper Mitchell Tarbit having a mostly quiet time in goal, although Greystoke did have their chances. In more inury news for Greystoke, and after losing a goalkeeper at Wetheriggs last week with a ruptured achilles, they lost another player to a broken foot in the second half in what looked like a fairly innocuous 50-50 challenge, and an ambulance arrived as the game drew to a close, and Storm Brian arrived, having already forced a number of cancellations in the South of the County.

The match was very fairly refereed by the Greystoke coach Dave Simmons, as no Westmorland FA referee had arrived by kick off.  Burneside had a big win, beating Lunesdale United 7-2 in the Junior Cup with striker Tyler Park picking up a hat trick, and there were two goals for  Kevin Pickering, and one each for Alex Chirwa and Dan Grindley. The game was moved to a muddy but playable Burneside as Maurice Park was (and is) waterlogged. Lunesdale’s two consolation goals were from Ben Collinson  and Brandon Brett. In the Second Round of the Westmorland FA Senior Challenge Cup,  Endmoor beat Coniston 3-0 with goals from James Halton, Bradley Thompson and Dean Sill.

In the Smurfit Kappa Cumberland County League Ken Glover Memorial Shield there was still a Round One match to be played between Wigton Harriers and Windscale Reserves, and this was a 3-1 win for Wigton, with the Wigton goals from Jonny Studholme, Kieron Nicholson and Andy Hill.

In Round Two of the Ken Glover Memorial Shield, the match between Aspatria and Bransty Rangers ended as 6-3 win for Aspatria, with Aspatria’s goals from a Andrew Trestinau hat trick, and from Matthew Rudd, Stephen Harrison and Darryl Creighton. Bransty’s three were from a Dan Fowler brace and Stewart O’Pray.

Workington Athletic put seven past a shell shocked Cockermouth at the Lakes College 3G pitch, with the final result 7-1. Workington’s magnificent seven came from a Greg Armstrong brace, Tom Pardini, Ash Kelly, Andrew Rowntree, Leo Holliday and Greg Quale, with Cockermouth’s only reply was a goal from Robbie Lambert

In the Smurfit Kappa Premier Division it was confirmed that Frizington Whitestar, only promoted to the top flight last year, had withdrawn from the League. With the cup fixtures, there was only one Premier Division match, and  the match between Silloth and Cleator Moor Celtic ended as a 1-1 draw, a fair result for both sides in tough conditions with Dan Foster scoring for Silloth and Stuart Shaw for Celtic, although Silloth had a penalty saved by Celtic’s Connor McAleavey.

In Division One Pirelli beat Crown Newlaithes 3-1 with Matt Story, Andy Lewis and Aaron Roberts scoring for Pirelli, and Hodgson for Newlaithes. Pirelli are still undefeated in the League, and equal on points with  table toppers Bransty, with two games in hand.

In Division One of the James Cropper Westmorland League Division One, Keswick opened up a six point lead over Appleby at the top of the table, with a 1-4 away win over Ibis. With the rain hammering down this was a mudbath for both sides but Keswick took the lead after a battling performance after good work down the left wing from by Andy Rigg and Charlie Andrews left Alfie West free to score and Keswick went into half time 0-1 ahead.

At the start of the second half, Ibis pulled a goal back, but West responded with a second goal, a header from the back post from a Rigg cross, and Karl Southern made it three for the visitors, scoring with a powerful shot  from deep in the Keswick half which the home ‘keeper misjudged and the ball bounced over his head into the net. Declan Robinson then made it 4-1 after a brilliant ball from Southern to seal an excellent win.

Kendal County Reserves had another hammering, this time at home, losing 0-5 to Wetheriggs United with the goals from Kie Cooke (2), Alex Johnson, Lewis Windle and Simon Brough, with Wetheriggs now third in the table after their first away win of the season.

In Division Two, Dent stay top with a four point lead over Carleton Banks with a 6-1 win over Windermere SC Reserves. Keswick Reserves were in Cup action but stay third. Both Keswick and Carleton Banks have three games in hand over Dent.  In an all Carlisle clash, AFC Carlisle lost 2-5 to Eden Thistle, who move into fourth place in the table. Ullswater United narrowly lost out 3-4 to Kendal Utd Reserves, and Kendal move into sixth spot. With Kirkoswald and Carleton Banks both without fixtures, they played a friendly, which went 4-2 to Kirkoswald with the Kirkoswald goals from Cal Evans, Niall Renwick, Reece Simpson and a Carleton Banks own goal.

In Westmorland League Division Three, and having taken a beating in the County Cup, Penrith Saints FC went down to another double figure scoreline, losing 1-16  to the very much in form Kirkby Stephen, who are now two points clear at the top of the table.  In the first half, Callum Holmes scored two well finished goals for the visitors at a wet and windy Frenchfield, and plenty more followed with goals from Damon McNaughton, Dan Hallam and a cracking 20 yard strike from Daniel Robinson with Kirby Stephen 7-0 up at half time! Damon McNaughton and Dan Hallam ended up with a tally of 5 each, Scott Ostle added a goal in another fine display, and there was even time for veteran right back Paul Bibby to hit the top corner from 25 yards out.

Kirkoswald Reserves and Endmoor KGR Reserves  drew 3-3 in a well contested and entertaining game. The Kirkoswald goals were all from a Rob Anderson hat trick, and Endmoor’s from Denzel Huck (2) and Chris Bell, with Kirkoswald Third and Endmoor fourth in the table, equal on points, but KO have a game in hand.  Penrith AFC Academy narrowly lost out 2-3 to Ibis Reserves, who are now in second place in the Division.  And in the local derby at Frenchfield, Penrith Royal won out 3-1 over Penrith Town FC with Penrith Town now sixth. Academy are eighth, Penrith Saints are in twelfth place, and Penrith Town thirteenth.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More