[A] special golf day raised funds for two worthy causes in Kendal.
The event at Kendal Golf Club was held in aid of CancerCare’s Lakes Centre in Kendal and Wattsfield Youth Football Club.
James Whiteley from Holme, who manages Cumbria Heating in Kendal, organised the event on Sunday, June 24. He said it was a success despite stiff competition from the England World Cup match!
James said: “It was a bit tricky because England were playing but it was still a great day.
“We had 92 golfers playing from 8am and the weather was very good. There was a massive surge in the morning and it was quieter later on due to the England game. People came from as far afield as Chorley and Carlisle to take part.
“My 11-year-old son Bobby was in the winning team which was great. It was quite a big deal for him playing alongside three adults. The other members of the team were Graham Hayton, David Cooper and Gary Billington – all from Kendal.
“We always try to support local charities. Quite a few people in the club have had family members affected by cancer. In the football club we have 250 children and they have parents, grandparents and aunties and uncles who could have been affected by cancer at some point.
“We chose CancerCare because it’s in Kendal and it’s for local people. CancerCare has a lot of volunteers and we have a lot of volunteers in the football club – we also wanted to support that.”
The final total raised at the event has not yet been calculated. It will be announced as soon as the total is available.
The results were as follows:
- Longest Drive: Andy McRobbie
- Nearest the Pin 7th: Lee Blamire – 8ft 4″
- Nearest the Pin 17th: Peter Knipe – 6ft 2″
- 1ST Place Team – 109 points: Graham Hayton, David Cooper, Gary Billington, Bobby Whiteley
- 2ND Place Team – 108 points: Lee Blamire, Ian Aplin, Jake Blamire, Paul Grattan
- 3RD Place Team – 104 points: Sue Howell, Sue Grey, Edith Pittman, Rowena Lee
- 4TH Place Team – 100 points: Graham Wood, Mike Swindle, C.Parley, Nigel Robinson
- 5TH Place Team – 99 points: Stuart Brown, Richard Cartwright, Keith Wilson, Trevor Taylor.