Three teenagers have admitted being involved in a serious late-night assault on a teenager in Kendal.
Detectives began an investigation and made a public appeal for information after the incident at Kent Street in the town. This was reported to have occurred at about 12.45am on August 21.
“The 17-year-old boy suffered minor injuries,” a Cumbria police spokesman said in the aftermath.
At Carlisle Crown Court today, three teenagers admitted assaulting the male, causing him actual bodily harm.
They were Liam Pickering and Ethan Pickering, both aged 18, and a 17-year-old male who can’t be identified because of his age.
All three had previously faced a more serious charge, alleging the causing of grievous bodily harm with intent, which they denied.
In court, prosecutor Nicholas Clarke said of that allegation: “I will offer no evidence because that was not, in my view, ever a count which was sustainable on the evidence.”
None of the defendants had put forward a formal basis for their guilty pleas and would be sentenced in due course on the full prosecution facts of the case.
Judge Nicholas Barker adjourned the case and directed that pre-sentence reports on each of the defendants should be prepared by the probation service.
However, Judge Barker remarked: “I am satisfied the correct proactive is for these young defendants to be sentenced as soon as possible.”
They are due to receive their punishment at the crown court on 26th March.
In the meantime, Liam Pickering and Ethan Pickering, both of Lower Brook Street, Ulverston, were remanded in custody, while the 17-year-old defendant, who has an address in the Preston area, was granted bail by the judge.