Cumbria Crack
Headlines

Man accused of committing fraud at Stonecross Manor

Carlisle Crown Court

A man accused of committing fraud offences by using other people’s bank card details to pay for accommodation at a Kendal hotel and to hire cars is to stand trial later this year.

Ian Cullen, aged 59, faced four charges when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court this afternoon.

Three of these charges allege fraud.

One is said to have occurred between November 11 and 14 last year when Cullen is alleged to have made a false representation to a female by using a bank card in the name of another male to pay for hotel accommodation at Stonecross Manor, Milnthorpe Road.

Cullen is also alleged to have used a bank card in the name of the same male, and one in the name of a female, to make separate false representations to Enterprise Rent-A-Car to hire a vehicle. These are said to have occurred on November 13 and December 7, respectively.

A court charge alleges that Cullen was in possession of articles – various papers and documents containing the bank details of others – for use in fraud on December 20.

During a short hearing in front of Judge Nichols Barker, Cullen pleaded not guilty to all four charges. He appeared remotely, over a video link from custody, speaking to confirm his name and date of birth, to confirm he could hear proceedings clearly and to formally enter his pleas.

He will not stand trial in front of a jury. This is due to take place at the crown court in the week of June 21.

In the meantime he was reminded to co-operate with the preparation of a defence case statement. “You must set out the particulars of your defence and the areas of the prosecution case which you dispute,” said Judge Barker.

In the meantime, Cullen, of no fixed address, was remanded in custody, while a bail application was also adjourned by the judge.