Firefighters are reminding people in Cumbria about the dangers of swimming in open water as teams rescued two canoeists from a fast-flowing river.
- Plan your day – research the area, consider currents, tidal flow, wind direction, water temperature and weather.
- Have the right equipment – always wear a lifejacket, wetsuits and have dry clothes ready.
- Always take someone with you.
- Know your limits – plan and be aware of your exit points and avoid drifting in the currents.
- Know how to stay safe and get help – if you get into trouble or feel overwhelmed – float to live, catch your breath and think about your exit.