Two gastropubs in Cumbria have been ranked inside the top 20 in the UK according to new research.
Travel site Big 7 Travel combined a score of readers’ suggestions, online user reviews and contributions from their editorial team to compile the list of the 50 best gastropubs in the UK.
Ranked in fifth place on the list was The Dog and Gunn Inn in Skelton, while The Drunken Duck in Ambleside came in 15th.
The site describes The Dog and Gun Inn in the following manner: “This local hotspot is the sort of place you could easily sit in for hours and not notice the time going by. All food – from the fresh bread to soups and stocks – is made daily by chef-owner Ben Queen-Fryer, the only chef in the kitchen. This is food for the soul, with dishes such as glazed ox cheek with truffled Spatzle, buttered kale and cauliflower.
“If only all pubs served gastropub dishes that tasted this amazing.”
Meanwhile, The Drunken Duck was described as, “a beautiful spot in the heart of the Lake District. Consistently rated as one of the best gastropubs in the UK and nowhere does that shine through more so than in their hearty yet balanced mains, which include dishes such as a venison bourguignon suet pudding with sticky red cabbage and parsnip. Think British classics, but with a twist.”
Top 10 Best Gastropubs in the UK 2021:
- The Sportsman – Whitstable, Kent
- The Broad Chare – Newcastle upon Tyne
- The Wild Rabbit – Cotswolds, Oxfordshire
- The Coach – Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- Dog and Gun Inn – Skelton, Cumbria
- Parkers Arms – Clitheroe, Lancashire
- Mr Thomas’s Chop House – Manchester
- The Hind’s Head – Bray, Buckinghamshire
- The Fordwich Arms – Canterbury, Kent
- The Hero of Maida – London
- For the full list of the 50 Best Gastropubs in the UK, click see here.