Cumbria Crack
Headlines

Wigton dad admits child neglect crimes

Carlisle Crown Court

A Wigton dad will be sentenced next month after he admitted the neglect of two children.

The man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the children, faced a total of four charges when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court this morning.

He pleaded guilty to two charges of cruelty to a person aged under 16 in a manner “likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health”.

These offences both occurred on July 10 last year.

The man also admitted assaulting a police constable and the possession of class A drug cocaine on the same date.

Giving some information about the offending, prosecutor Gerard Rogerson told the court: “The child neglect is limited to the behaviour of the defendant on the evening in question. The language, the intoxication, the truculence and the assault on the officer.”

Judge Simon Medland QC adjourned the case and asked for the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report on the defendant.

The man was granted unconditional bail and is due to return to the crown court on March 25 to receive his punishment.

“In granting you bail I give no indication of sentence,” Judge Medland said to the defendant. “All sentencing options are open.”