TWO men and a youth have admitted being involved in a vicious Carlisle house attack which left the victim with a broken jaw and burns to his face and head.
Leon Raymond Hull, 29, David Foster, 31, and a 17-year-old male who can’t be identified because of his age appeared at the city’s crown court today (THURS).
Each admitted a charge of unlawfully and maliciously causing grievous bodily harm to Jonathan Thompson with intent to do him grievous bodily harm.
The joint offence occurred at a house on Spencer Street in Carlisle, close to the city centre.
Police issued a public appeal for information following the incident, officers having been alerted just before 6pm on November 17 this year.
A Cumbria police spokesman said of the victim in the aftermath: “He sustained numerous injuries including a broken jaw and burns to his face and head.” He was detained in hospital in a stable condition with injuries described as “serious but not life-threatening”, but is said to have since been discharged.
Kim Whittlestone, representing Hull, conceded: “He is aware it is a lengthy custodial sentence.”
Judge Julie Clemitson observed of previously convicted Hull: “Even on his (criminal) record he is a particularly dangerous offender.”
Judge Clemitson ordered the preparation of probation service pre-sentence reports which will assess the potential risk of serious harm that Hull, Foster and the youth each pose to members of the public in the future.
All three are due to be sentenced by a judge at the crown court on February 14.
In the meantime Hull, of Sprinkell, Aspatria, and Foster, of Ullswater Road, Carlisle, were remanded in custody. Both were informed they would receive discounts to their eventual sentences in respect of their guilty pleas.
That was also indicated to the teenager, also of Carlisle, who was granted conditional bail.
But Judge Clemitson told him: “I am not giving you any signals as to what the sentence should be. You should get yourself ready for a custodial sentence. It is almost inevitable in your case.”