Cumbria Crack

Man struck more than 30 times during “vicious” Kendal attack, jury told

The incident scene at Waterside, Kendal

A MAN was struck more than 30 times to the head, face and body during a “vicious” Kendal attack, a medical expert has told a jury.

Dr Alison Armour, a Home Office pathologist, gave evidence at Carlisle Crown Court today (FRI) having been asked to provide her opinion on “serious and severe” injuries sustained by Richard Wilkinson at Waterside just before 2am on March 30 this year.

Two men – Luke Peter Canning, aged 22, of Bridge Street, Burneside, and 26-year-old Jordan Lee Jenkinson, of Lound Road in Kendal – are on trial. Both deny attempting to murder 33-year-old Mr Wilkinson.

Jurors have heard eye witnesses saw a grounded male being struck up to 20 times by a man armed with a metal bar – accepted to be Canning – who was seen wearing socks but no shoes. One onlooker described the assault as “vicious”.

Photo of the metal bar which was recovered at the scene shown to jury

Mr Wilkinson suffered facial fractures, lost teeth and underwent surgery but made a “good recovery” and was discharged from hospital on April 8.

Although Dr Armour did not examine Mr Wilkinson, she was given access to a summary of key evidence which included police body-cam footage, medical records and injury images.

Graphic photographs were shown to the jury as Dr Armour painstakingly detailed each injury. She concluded Mr Wilkinson received, to the head and face, a minimum of four footwear stamps, five kicks, two punches, and either two more punches or kicks to the lips and nose. Dr Armour concluded, in her opinion, the blows which caused fractures to his jaw and cheekbone were of “considerable” force, and consistent with stamping.

Dr Armour also concluded Mr Wilkinson suffered 18 blows to the body with a blunt cylindrical object, his rib fractures being caused by strikes of considerable force. In addition, she said injuries to his lower arms were “typical defence-type wounds”.

Prosecutor Jeremy Grout-Smith asked whether the body bruising and marks were “consistent with being caused by Exhibit 1 (a metal dumb bell bar recovered by police)”. Dr Armour replied: “Absolutely.”

She had concluded her written report by saying Mr Wilkinson’s injuries were “serious and severe, and would undoubtedly have caused immense pain and suffering”.

Jurors have heard Canning does admit causing him grievous bodily harm with intent – a charge Jenkinson denies. The trial continues.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More