Cumbria Crack

Workington amateur MMA fighter jailed for three savage attacks in seven days

Ainsley Murdoch

An amateur mixed martial arts fighter who savagely attacked a dog walker twice in three days in a Workington park while on bail for assaulting his half-brother has been jailed for two years.

Ainsley Murdoch’s spree of violence occurred during a seven-day period late last year, and came after relatives had contacted a crisis team amid concerns over his mental health.

On the afternoon of October 26, 25-year-old Murdoch was at the home of half-brother Gaij, watching television.

Suddenly, he pulled his sibling’s head down and began to hit him before the pair wrestled around the room.

Murdoch then continued his attack with a hairbrush with such force that it broke into two pieces, leaving the half-brother fearing he would be stabbed with the handle.

He suffered cuts to his neck and face and swelling.

Murdoch, of Derwent Street, Workington, was arrested and bailed.

But on October 31, he punched dog walker Michael Hawley to the ground in the town’s Vulcan Park.

This caused him to lose consciousness and he woke to find himself being cradled in the arm of a passer-by.

Two days later, Murdoch attacked Mr Hawley again, striking him to the floor and leaving him defenceless as the violence continued with punches and kicks.

Mr Hawley’s injuries – shown at Carlisle Crown Court – included a broken nose, bruising and facial swelling.

Both victims described the impact of the attack,

Mr Hawley talking of nervousness and anxiety.

The half-brother spoke of a “big impact” on home life.

“He is an MMA fighter and boxer, and I am the last person he would do this to,” Gaij Murdoch stated.

“This makes me very concerned for the welfare of my family and my partner is very concerned for our safety.”

Ainsley Murdoch admitted three actual bodily harm assaults and illegal knife possession on two occasions.

Judge Nicholas Barker – who concluded deteriorating mental health had contributed to the offending – jailed Murdoch, who was banned from contacting his half-brother and family, and Mr Hawley, for three and five years, respectively.